Two killed, more than 40 injured in Maharashtra group clash

Adjust Comment Print

A clash broke out between two groups in Maharashtra's Aurangabad on Friday night, following which more than hundred shops and several vehicles were burnt. Meanwhile, at least ten policemen have been injured including three junior officers, the Indian Express reported.

Aurangabad Police Commissioner Milind Bharambe said there were two rounds of violence, one Friday evening followed by another on Saturday, but "now the situation is under control". Petrol bombs and kerosenesoaked balls made of rags were found during a search operation, and more than a dozen people were taken into custody for interrogation, he said. There has been no permanent Police Commissioner in the city for past two months, which was also the reason that violence ran rampant and couldn't be controlled in time.

According to initial information, water connection was also cut at one of the religious places, after which things took a violent turn.

Opposition Congress state President Ashok Chavan called upon the people to maintain peace and "foil the nefarious designs of communal and divisive forces" trying to spread social unrest between communities.

The condition of ACP Kolekar, who was admitted to hospital after sustaining serious injuries in the stone-pelting, is said to be serious.

Police forces were hurried to the neighborhood nevertheless they failed to control the violence and resorted to caning and shooting tear gas shells and plastic bullets to control the rampaging crowds. Mr. Bansile's shop was among those torched by the rioters and he could not escape as he was disabled.

Even the worst-hit are as were Shahganj, " Nawabpura, Rajabazaar and also Angribaug which continued to remain calm but stressed. At present, a large number of security forces are deployed in the city and stress situation remains. Several parts city witnessed youths from two groups taking to streets and attacking each other with some pelting stones.

Speaking in Pune, Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis promised stern action against those responsible for instigating the clashes, while lauding police authorities for bringing a potentially explosive situation under quick control.