Like other viral fads, this one has been around for years but is just now catching fire on social media, mostly via YouTube. Another medical report chronicles the woe of a 26-year-old African woman who swallowed a condom for the same reason and got appendicitis when a condom fragment got stuck in her appendix.
The condom challenge (which is not to be confused with a different challenge of the same name, from 2015, in which teens would fill condoms with water and drop them on their friends' heads) is not a new concept.
"Because these days our teens are doing everything for likes, views and subscribers", Stephen Enriquez, a Texas-based health educator, told the station.
The latest social media craze entails teens making videos of themselves snorting condoms into their nostrils and pulling them out through their mouths.
"Even if you successfully complete the challenge and pull the condom out your mouth, the bottom line is that it's incredibly irritating and a good chance it will wreak havoc on your sinuses, nasal passages, and upper airway", Glatter said.
"A lot of people were just saying how stupid I was or how - why would I be willing to do that?"
Where would one see such a thing, you might ask?
The Condom Challenge isn't new, but a resurgence of a past trend.
Many of these challenges are done for likes, clicks, shares, and attention.
Snorting a condom up your nose not only poses a choking hazard but also puts you at risk for allergic reactions and infections, reports Forbes. The video has since been removed, but there are still dozens of others showing teenagers accepting the challenge. In 2014, a teenager intentionally inhaled the prophylactic, according to data from the American Association of Poison Control Centers. Typing the Condom Challenge into YouTube will leave you with an array of videos of young people snorting condoms up their nose.