Game of Thrones creators working on series of Star Wars films

Adjust Comment Print

LOS ANGELES | Disney on Tuesday announced it was expanding its "Star Wars" universe, hiring the creators behind HBO's massive TV hit "Game of Thrones" to write a new series of films set in the galaxy far, far away. Benioff and Weiss's series will not be tied to that series, nor to the completely different trilogy that The Last Jedi director Rian Johnson is set to create.

President of LucasFilm, Kathleen Kennedy, explained the choice in recruiting the Emmy-nominated writers for a new Star Wars series.

The timing seems flawless, with Star Wars: Episode IX scheduled to close out the series December 20, 2019, the same year Game Of Thrones is set to conclude.

"We arehonored by the opportunity, a little terrifiedbythe responsibility, andso excited to get startedas soon asthe final season of'Game of Thrones'is complete", they said.

We don't know too much more other than those details at this current time, but we'll keep you posted.


Disney boss Bob Iger said when Johnson's trilogy was announced in November the "Star Wars" franchise had been "exceeding expectations" since the entertainment giant acquired Lucasfilm in 2012.

A sequence in The Force Awakens was shot around Derwentwater in 2014.

This news, of course, comes quickly after we laid eyes on a brand-new trailer for Solo: A Han Solo Story. Many will go see the films just because David Benioff and D.B. Weiss's names are attached. Iger said Benioff and Weiss did not express an interest in working on a Star Wars television series, but instead wanted to develop multiple films based on a moment in Star Wars mythology.

These new films will be added to a list of films that will first start with Solo: A Star Wars story in May 2018, followed by Star Wars: Episode IX in December 2019, which will let JJ Abrams conclude the new trilogy.

Though some may be excited about the news, people on Twitter were a bit skeptical.

Comments