Arab League to hold snap meeting on Iran at Saudi request

Adjust Comment Print

Iran swiftly dismissed French President Emmanuel Macron's call for talks relating to Tehran's ballistic missiles program.

Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Bahram Qassemi demanded that France remain "realistic, fair and farsighted" when it comes to matters of the Middle East and Gulf regions, according to a ministry statement released Saturday.

"France is ... completely aware of our country's stance that Iran's defensive affairs are not negotiable", he added.

"The very tough positions expressed by Saudi Arabia regarding Iran do not conform to what I think [about Tehran]", Le Monde on Friday quoted Macron as having said during a press conference in Dubai on Thursday.

Referring to the Saudi claim, the French President had raised the prospect of possible sanctions with regard to those activities. This came after "its [Iran's] Houthi proxy" in Yemen fired a missile towards the Saudi capital last week.


The United States Congress now has 60 days to reimpose nuclear sanctions.

The United States accused Iran on Tuesday of supplying Yemen's Houthi rebels with a missile that was sacked into Saudi Arabia in July and called for the United Nations to hold Tehran accountable for violating two U.N. Security Council resolutions.

U.S. President Donald Trump has threatened to pull out of the deal, refusing to recertify that Iran is complying with its obligations and violating the "spirit" of the accord. Tehran says it has no plans to build nuclear-capable missiles and the missile programme is for defence purposes.

"What we have seen, clearly from the results of the ballistic missile attacks, that there have been Iranian markings on those missiles, that's been demonstrated", Harrigian said.

Saudi Arabia's Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman accused Iran of committing a "direct military aggression" after the rebels launched the missile at the airport in Riyadh.

Comments